I always thought it was just her hang up. I mean, hello?! It’s chocolate! Then, I got to thinking. Not everyone out there is, um, conscious of the consequences of their actions. They are not thinking about germs and calories, but about indulging and having fun. They may not even be aware that double-dipping is not just dipping the actual strawberry a second time, but also includes using the same skewer more than once. If it was in your mouth and you put it back into the chocolate flow, you just added your saliva to the mix. Nice!
Which brings me to another point, people drink at weddings. A lot. Alcohol lets people forget their manners and general hygiene. If the caterer doesn’t staff the fountain with a watch dog, there will be a guaranteed drunk sticking their finger directly in that chocolate. Gross, yes. Even worse, think about their hand-washing technique (or lack thereof) after those three whiskey sours. Eewwww! You spent hundreds of dollars on a chocolate fountain for your top-of-the-line wedding and now there is you-know-what in it. Kinda makes you re-think that decision.
This is not to say that you shouldn’t order one for your big day. It IS warning you to be fastidious with the catering company about having plenty of skewers and a very vocal staff member to stand guard every second.